Sunday, May 24, 2015

Chocolate Chip Cookies and CaptionCall: Out of class presentation

For my out of class speech and presentation I chose to use my team meetings for my venue. My team is made up of people from twenty years to 65 years of age. They are the communications assistance that I am responsible for supervising as they work at CaptionCall. In our business we have implemented the ability to monitor calls for the sake of quality control. In our line of work we dictate calls for the hard of hearing and it is imperative that we dictate verbatim and with speed and accuracy as much as possible. I chose to discuss the need for these three things as I presented my speech. I started out by using the analogy of chocolate chip cookies. I passed out a recipe and asked them what was missing. Of course it was the chocolate chips. I likened this to the missing words in our dictation and how leaving out even 10% of a conversation, or a recipe, changes the end result. I then discussed with them the ways that we have to make sure that we do our best. I then showed them a short clip from YouTube on why we do what we do and talked about the lives that are touched and the people that we serve on a daily basis. I did this in an effort to draw on emotion to encourage them to do their best at all times because those we serve truly are blessed by our service.

In this venue it’s not quite as intimidating as in others. I’m in a position of authority and my team looks to me for direction. I’ve been in this position for a number of years and know the information quite well, which makes it easy to discuss and share. However, I do still get nervous, worried that I will forget to share something. Some of my symptoms of nerves are that I speak too quickly, I like to say “um” a lot, I get scatter brained and mess up what I want to say. I addressed these things in my Likert Survey that I passed out to the team ahead of time. As I was gathering up the results and looking through them, I was surprised by what I saw. I was expecting to have lower results, mostly in the “um” category. I am pleased with the feedback that I was given. They felt that I spoke slowly and clearly enough to convey the information intended, which was great. However, I do still need to work on stammering and using “um” to fill the “brain drain” that I experience during presentations at times.

All in all, I felt that my presentation went well. I know that I need to improve on some things and I am glad that my team was kind enough to let me know how I can do better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment